Sketchup, marketed officially as Trimble SketchUp, is a 3D modeling program for applications such as architectural, civil and mechanical engineering, film, and video game design. A freeware version, Sketchup Make, and a paid version with additional functionality, Sketchup Pro, are available. It was launched in 2000 but became free when Google bought it in 2006. During this time, SketchUp was known as Google Sketchup. In April 2012, Google announced that they will sell SketchUp to Trimble, a company best known for GPS location services.
SketchUp is the upload and download, or input and output tool for the 3D Warehouse.
Export formats Edit
Information on SketchUp exports can be found here.
Pro Version Edit
Trimble & co. promote the SketchUp Pro Version heavily, giving the SketchUp free version a mildly controversial "personal use only" license. The Pro version provides high res presentation, more export formats, features, and professional support.
Align the (X, Y, Z) axes to your subject, which should be "cornered into" the axes.
Build for good display rendering performance with "low poly" techniques.
- Use as few faces as possible.
- Ensure faces are "outward" using "View > Face Style > Monochrome", and to reverse a face use "Right click select, Reverse Faces".
- Use components for repeated features: Select geometry (location), then "Edit > Make Component".
- Delete faces that are not visible and erase extra lines.
- If you see flickering, eliminate Z-Fighting by deleting excess faces and reducing the total number of faces.
- Clean up using Purge Unused.
SketchUp debuted in August 2000 as a general-purpose 3D content creation tool, and was envisioned as a software program "that would allow design professionals to draw the way they want by emulating the feel and freedom of working with pen and paper in a simple and elegant interface, that would be fun to use and easy to learn, and that would be used by designers to play with their designs in a way that is not possible with traditional design software. It also has user friendly buttons to make it easier to use."
The program won a Community Choice Award at its first tradeshow in 2000.
On January 9, 2007, SketchUp 6 was released, with new tools and a beta version of Google SketchUp LayOut. LayOut includes 2D vector tools and page layout tools allowing presentations to be produced without the need for a separate presentation program.
On November 17, 2008, SketchUp 7 was released, with changes intended to make it easier to use, integration of SketchUp's Component Browser with Google 3D Warehouse, LayOut 2, and dynamic components that respond to scaling. Windows 2000 was no longer supported.
Trimble Navigation acquired SketchUp from Google on June 1, 2012 for a price less than $100M.Template:Citation/make link. Template:Citation/make link. http://www.trimble.com/3d/. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
On May 21, 2013, Trimble announced the release of SketchUp Pro 2013 — along with a new site, Extension Warehouse, hosting plugins and extensions for Sketchup.Template:Citation/make link. Template:Citation/make link. http://www.softwareparadise.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-sketchup-pro-2013/. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
SketchUp Make 2013Edit
- Zoom In More
- Video Export
- Smarter Toolbars in Windows
- Dashes in Dimensions
- Curved Label Leader Lines
- Numbered Pages in the Pages panel
- Faster Screen Redraw
- Speedier Vector Rendering
- Copy Array
- Pattern Fills
- Extension Warehouse
- SketchUp Version 1
- SketchUp Version 2
- SketchUp Version 3
- SketchUp Version 4
- SketchUp Version 5
- Google SketchUp Version 6
- Google SketchUp Version 7
- Google SketchUp Version 8
- SketchUp 2013 Make
- SketchUp 2013 Pro
- SketchUp 2014 Make
- SketchUp 2014 Pro
- SketchUp 2015 Make
- SketchUp 2015 Pro
- SketchUp 2016 Make
- SketchUp 2016 Pro
- Sketchup 2017 Pro
- SketchUp 2017 Make
- SketchUp Pro 2018
- SketchUp Free
Languages Available inEdit
English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional
- ↑ http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/profile/brad-schell-sells-software-company-google
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link. It.tmcnet.com. March 15, 2006. http://it.tmcnet.com/news/2006/03/15/1460736.htm. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link. IMVU.com. http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_images/how_to/sketchup_index.htm. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link. Digitalcad.com. November 16, 2000. http://www.digitalcad.com/Htm/Articles/2000/11_00b/digicad.htm. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- ↑ Template:Citation/make link. Sketchup.com. http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?id=7&recordid=109. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named